跨学科, Barnard's coursework incorporates the natural world and 气候变化 into its teaching and research. These courses allow students to explore and grapple with our human interactions with the natural world from a variety of perspectives, 从自然科学到美术.
2020-2021年 人类学 部门推出了新的政治生态轨道, designed for students who wish to pursue studies in fields relevant to environmental justice, 气候变化, 和可持续性. The major track is grounded in strong theoretical and methodological training in sociocultural anthropology.
2020-21 also marked the inaugural year of Barnard’s new Environmental Humanities minor, 由 关键跨学科研究联合会. EHMC will bring together students in both the humanities and STEM to collectively focus on the ways in which issues surrounding environmentalism, 全球变暖, 土地和水权激进主义, 非人权与种族交织在一起, 种族, 性别, 和类. EHMC向所有全球十大赌钱软件App学生开放. 请发邮件给教授 雪华铃家禽 有问题的.
浏览我们2023年秋季课程的完整列表 与环境和可持续性相关. 以下是一些亮点.
- Afrs bc3516 - 非洲研究:全球南方的环境人文 | 教授授课 伊薇特Christianse, this interdisciplinary course studies how individuals and communities in the Global South attempt to understand the “sense of an ending” that underlies all warnings about the climate crisis. This course examines how people in the Global South communicate their relation to the historical and changing environment, 同时专注于印度洋的特定地区, 撒哈拉以南非洲, 以及散居的非洲社区.
社会bc3922 - 社会学:种族、民族和美国饮食文化 | 教授授课 吉莉安Gualtieri, 本课程使用种族理论, 种族, 和国家问关于边界的问题, 类别, 以及美国食物系统的区别. It asks questions like: How are race, 种族, nationality shaped by patterns of migration? How are cultural products, like cuisine, markets of broader systems of inequality? 这些不平等制度如何影响获得食物的机会, 我们吃什么, 工作场所, 以及种族化的身体?
- 公元2530年 体系结构: Life Beyond Emergency: Domesticities of Displacement, Inhabitations of Migration | 教授授课 Anooradha Siddiqim, 本课程探讨了构建环境的交集, 空间实践, 位移, 殖民主义, 以及后殖民世界的人道主义. The course critically examines the politics and poetics of architecture in partitions, 边界, 和营, investigates the connected histories and theories of humanitarianism and 殖民主义. Through studying forms such as refugee camps in relation to colonial institutions, students are invited to interrogate normalized discourses and spaces in order to imagine and analyze emergency environments as human constructions that have been resisted, 经历了, 并在世界范围内的各种环境中被超越.
HRTS BC3850 -人权:人权 & 公共卫生 | 教授授课 威德尼布朗, this course introduces students to the field of health and human rights. It examines how to advocate for and implement public health strategies using a human rights framework. It takes note of current international and domestic debates about the utility of a human rights-based approach to health, 讨论与健康有关的人权研究的方法和伦理, examines case studies of human rights investigations to explore the role of human rights analysis in promoting public health.
在2020年和2021年的春季 参与教学法中心 hosted two workshop series on the development of new coursework and support for existing coursework centered on the environment, 可持续性, 和/或气候变化. These sessions were attended by 70+ participants across multiple academic departments, 包括生物学, 历史, 英语, 与环境科学.
全球十大赌钱软件App的研究跨越了类似的学科界限, engaging with scientific and cultural concepts of nature and the environment within a wide range of fields. 以下是一些亮点:
- 环境科学教授， 马丁Stute, 他的研究重点是水资源, 碳封存, 以及气候变化对社会和经济的影响. He is currently involved in a project determining the greenhouse gas footprint of NYC.
- 建筑专业实践教授， Kadambari巴喜, uses architectural visualizations to examine toxic emission flows and climate justice. She is displaying these multimedia projects in a variety of exhibitions.
- 西班牙和拉丁美洲文化助理教授， 奥兰多Bentancor, teaches on the emergence of capitalism in sixteenth century Latin America, specifically looking at the relationship between the commodification of nature and the transformation of indigenous peoples into workers. His book, The Matter of Empire, examines conceptions of metal resources in early colonial mining.
- 佩奇西, 克莱尔·托人类学教授, 看社会和环境之间的关系. 更具体地说, she has written about the intersections between indigenous epistemic practices and conservation science, the linkages between environmental conservation and international development, the material and symbolic ways in which the natural world is understood and produced, 人与自然社会关系的美学和诗学, 商品的创造和消费的实践.
- 妇女、性别及性研究助理教授， 玛丽莎所罗门 looks at the durability of racism and its many material forms: toxicity’s movement through soil and bodies, 堆填区的位置, 浪费的基础设施, 以及技术官僚对黑人生死的规划和管理. Her work focuses on how Black improvisation with waste’s form and meaning upend environmental thinking — including the raced, 分类, 和被认为属于地球的性别管家.
- 生物科学助理教授， 乔纳森·雪, 研究蜜蜂的细胞应激反应, 这个物种对我们的农业系统至关重要.
- 戏剧专业实践副教授， Goldmark桑德拉, teaches design and focuses her research on circular economy solutions to overconsumption and waste. 她是社会企业的创始人, 修正, 哪家剧院雇佣工匠修理家居用品, 将维修重新设想为可持续循环经济的一部分. She also serves as Barnard's first Director of 可持续发展与气候行动.
Barnard's engagement with climate action does not end at the 边界 of our campus. 全球十大赌钱软件App的毕业生会在这些领域实习或就业. 我们的职业发展办公室， 全球十大赌钱软件排行, helps direct students towards opportunities, build their resumes, prepare for interviews. 以下是几位在这个领域取得成功的校友:
- 安妮·伦纳德, Barnard '86, is the Executive Director of Greenpeace USA, creator of the book/animated film, 物质的故事.
- 土卫五Suh, Barnard '92, is the former president of the National 资源 Defense Council. 她于2018年被授予全球十大赌钱软件App杰出勋章.
- 苏蒋介石, 全球十大赌钱软件App93, works as Pollution Prevention Director at the Center for Environmental 健康, where she leads work on market incentives for companies to manufacture products safe for public health.
- 得到玛 全球十大赌钱软件App的14日 founded the Mountain Resiliency Project to address the poverty and food insecurity prevalent in mountain communities. They are working to create stronger communities from within to combat the already apparent impacts of 气候变化.
- 玛迪泰勒全球十大赌钱软件App17岁，是Sprout up的全国总监. 作为学生，她是纽约分会的创始成员